Thursday, April 28, 2011

Good Life vs Great Life

A mentor of mine once asked me what kind of life I would like to have. Where did I want to be? What did I want to do? etc... I didnt have a concrete answer at the time but rather an abstract idea of optimism and hope.

He went on to explain the very real and subtle difference between what he called the Good Life and the Great Life. The Good Life is that of security, routine, and being comfortable. Its best exemplified with the idea of getting a good job, working hard at it, and ultimately climbing the corporate ladder. Im sure along with this comes the American Dream of the 2.5 kids, the white picket fence, house, and car. This is truly a good life, things are secure, established,  and that path is directed and focused. For the most part the ups and downs of this kind of life are not that exaggerated and life is comfortable.

The Great Life he described is a different animal entirely. It is made from the stuff poets write about and the dreamers envision. Its to discard the orthodox notions of lifestyles and follow the untraveled path. In less abstract terms its veering away from the stable and the safe, taking a risk in hopes of the extraordinary. Climbing up the corporate ladder is one thing but how about the idea of starting your own company. The high and lows can be quite high and the lows could be very low but its the price to pay for such a lifestyle. It may or may not be worth it depending on your wants/need/circumstances.

Taking vacation once a year is good, but taking vacation when/where you want is great. I personally do not want to be limited by the Good Life. It is a starting point to take me to the Great Life. I would risk my life's time pursuing the Great Life because I think its something to be treasured and sought after. The ability to follow my dreams and make my life the way I dream it to be is of greater importance then the ease of the secure life. Its more appealing because I will not have to answer to anyone else but myself. I become the ultimate artist to my own canvas and get to live out my own dreams.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment